David Davis (born December 19, 1930) was a composer and a professor at the University of Virginia. He directed the Virginia Glee Club from 1957 to 1964. His arrangement of Glee Club member Mike Stillman's "Summer Songs" was the centerpiece of the 1972 Glee Club recording A Shadow's on the Sundial .
Davis was originally from New Orleans. He completed an undergraduate degree at Peabody College, Vanderbilt University in music theory and composition, and a masters in music history and composition at Harvard. As a composer, he was a serialist whose work was performed in New York and other venues. While at the University, he served as head of the McIntire Department of Music from 1964 until his resignation in 1966. He became Glee Club director in 1957, taking over from Donald MacInnis, though MacInnis was to fill in for him during the 1962-1963 season.
After leaving the University, he moved to California and worked as a film composer, scoring such works as H.O.T.S. He has retired to Lincoln County, Oregon, where he is active in local government.
- Glee Club 1957-1958 season
- Glee Club 1958-1959 season
- Glee Club 1959-1960 season
- Glee Club 1960-1961 season
- Glee Club 1961-1962 season
- Glee Club 1962-1963 season
- Glee Club 1963-1964 season
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Lincoln County (OR) Voters' Pamphlet Special Election, May 2005". http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/clerk/vp/lincoln.vp.0505.pdf. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- ↑ "Forum Features 2 Composers; Other Weekend Events". New York Times. 1964-03-23. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30E14FB385B1B728DDDAA0A94DB405B848AF1D3&scp=1&sq=%22david%20davis%22%20%22forum%20features%202%20composers%22&st=cse.
- ↑ "Board of Visitors Minutes, June 5, 1964". 1964-06-05. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2007_04/uvaGenText/tei/bov_19640605.xml;chunk.id=d21;toc.depth=1;toc.id=d3;brand=default;query=david%20davis#1. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- ↑ "Board of Visitors Minutes, April 2, 1966". 1964-04-02. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=2006_01/uvaGenText/tei/bov_1966-04-02.xml;chunk.id=d22;toc.depth=1;toc.id=;brand=default;query=david%20davis#1. Retrieved 2010-0303.
- ↑ "Davis Gets Duties as Glee Club Head". The Cavalier Daily: p. 1. 1957-09-27. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=EPQcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GmkEAAAAIBAJ&dq=glee-club&pg=3496%2C201092.
- ↑ Corks and Curls. 73. 1961. pp. 31. http://books.google.com/books?lr=&client=firefox-a&id=it1KAAAAYAAJ&dq=editions%3ALCCNca07000624&q=david+davis#search_anchor.
- ↑ "H.O.T.S. (1979)". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079257/fullcredits. Retrieved 2010-03-03.