Marie André Burthe (July 11, 1866 in New Orleans, Louisiana - 1940) was a member of the Virginia Glee Club during the Glee Club 1887-1888,, 1888-1889, 1893-1894, 1894-1895, and 1895-1896 seasons. At the University of Virginia he was also a member of Eli Banana and Alpha Tau Omega, and played on the Medical Class Ball Nine baseball team. His mother ran a dining hall on the West Range in Hotel E.
After leaving the University he fought in the Spanish-American War. He held a number of patents, including Patent , US 941911 for artificial bait and , US 1000777 for a ball-catching toy. He died in 1940 and is buried in the University of Virginia Cemetery.
- ↑ "Marie André Burthe". New Orleans, Louisiana Birth Records, 1790-1899 (Ancestry.com). http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=neworleansbirths&h=60448&new=1. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "M. Andre Burthe". Find-A-Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=BURT&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSst=48&GScntry=4&GSsr=121&GRid=83141355&. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Corks and Curls. I. 1888. p. 92.
- ↑ Corks and Curls. II. 1889. p. 97.
- ↑ Southall, James Wilson (1947). In the days of my youth when I was a student in the University of Virginia, 1888–1893. University of North Carolina Press. pp. 41–43. http://xtf.lib.virginia.edu/xtf/view?docId=legacy/uvaBook/tei/SouDays.xml;chunk.id=d10;toc.depth=1;toc.id=;brand=default;query=burthe#1.